Sunday, April 27, 2008

Wedding Webbing

Immediately after typing the title of this entry, I realized that the subject of the post could be mistaken for some sort of exotic spider web-esque wedding decoration, or perhaps something having to do with duck feet. No, duck feet will not be the featured hors d'oeuvre at my reception!

This post will, in fact, be dedicated to the subject of wedding websites, since I'm in the process of updating my own website (yes, it's separate from this blog), even as I type. I started scoping out sites for my betrothed and moi long before we were engaged. One could even argue that it started when friends of mine started getting hitched and creating their own sites. I was able to scope out what I liked and what I didn't, so that by the time I had that tell-tale sparkly upon my finger, I knew the basics qualifications in determining with which website provider I would go:


  1. FREEDOM! No paying. Whatsoever. Ladies and gents, this is one of those delightfully rare pieces of wedding planning that can come at no cost and still get your message across in a way that reflects you. Do not let them suck up your dollars unless you have a really good reason.
  2. A variety of template options. The design of your site should reflect you and your fiancé. The more variety in the options, the better.
  3. User-friendly. Don't lose sleep over your lack of html know-how. You should be able to click a button and see your website manifest before you exactly how you envisioned it!
  4. Customizable. Don't let the website dictate what you can put on it. You decide. Some people like just the bare-bones facts on their site. I, on the other hand, am a babbler. I need space to write and tell our story using pictures and video and links, etc. Why else would I be blogging my little heart out?

You can set up whatever criteria you want for your site. Just make sure it reflects you. Here are some of the services I've come across so far:

  • The Knot - Most of you have probably heard of this one. It's one of the trendiest wedding planning sites in existence. The Knot is more than just a website provider, it's a one-stop shop for all your bridal needs. I actually like to browse through their information on occasion, but chose not to create a site through their service, mainly because Carlos didn't like any of the designs. Hey, it's his site, too!


  • Wedding Channel - Not quite as cute as The Knot, the Wedding Channel website actually became my prime source of resources leading up to and immediately after I got engaged. I just got used to the layout of their site and it was the origin of many a web browsing session in the hope of generating/implementing ideas.

    Carlos liked more of the Wedding Channel website design options than he did on The Knot, but I wasn't ready to settle for his apathetic approval. I wanted real, dedicated, "this is my site" passion from him! I took his feedback and kept searching.


  • David's Bridal - As far as I can tell, David's website service is through a partnership with OurWeddingDay.com, which gives you a 30-day free trial of its service before you have to pay. If you've read this far, you already know my thoughts about that, but I'll leave it to you to decide what's best for you.


  • Wedding Announcer - This is where I've been hosting our site, and I've been pretty happy with it, so far. The variety of templates is a little lacking, but I found one on there that Carlos was actually happy with, so that was good enough for me. Also, it's very user-friendly while still allowing you to be creative and control what gets published and what remains behind the scenes. I've had a lot of good comments from friends about this site, so far.


  • eWedding - This is my new favorite!!! I think. I stumbled upon this site by accident, which surprised me, because based on what I saw, I thought it should be at the top of everybody's list of wedding website providers! It has really cute themed templates in a variety of styles, from very elegant to very contemporary. Better yet, there's an optional Flash intro, which was what convinced me to try the site out in the first place! I do have a couple of complaints about the upload/download times for some of the pictures, and the fact that you can format everything except for text size in the entries.

    It's not quite as straight-forward as Wedding Announcer, but the loss in simplicity is outweighed by the professionalism of the overall site, once it's completed. And, there are even fun quizzez (unintentional spelling error that amused me, so I kept it) and polls that you can publish on your site for greater interactivity and feedback from your viewers! I have yet to play with the various multi-media options, since I'm in the process of transferring everything over from Wedding Announcer (Sigh, I almost feel like I'm betraying our original site! I really need to stop getting so attached to material . . . and virtual . . . things!).

    Addendum: I still like eWedding a lot, but I'm back to using Wedding Announcer after finding out the hard way that eWedding's free services are more limited than I thought. I'd received an email saying that my free trial was coming to an end, and when I went to see what was left I was pleasantly surprised and spent hours transferring things over to my new site.

    It wasn't until later that week, when all but two of the pages on my site got locked and invisible, that I went back to re-read the email. There, I noticed a key piece of a sentence that I'd missed before . . . "Your free trial is coming to an end in a few days." I thought it was already over! Turns out most of my hard work is only visible once I upgrade to a paid package, and you all know my thoughts about that.

    So, in the end, I like eWedding, in principle. The surveys and polls are a really fun idea, and the mapping service is an external one that I'll recommend in a differenct post. But, in the end, I'm not willing to pay for the service. Also, if you are open to paying, make sure you take advantage of the free trial, first. Like I said, it's a fun service, but I did notice some quirks that I was willing to tolerate for free, but not when it involves money. And read through the packages carefully, as they encompass very specific items and may require an upgrade for the stuff you love.

So, that's my little insight into the virtual world of bride-ism for the day. Hmm, can't get the thought of those polls out of my head . . .

No comments: