Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'm Getting Married!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so I realize that this blog wouldn't exist if I wasn't getting married, but still, I just had an urge to shout it from the rooftops. Being after 10:00 p.m., that probably wouldn't be well-received by my neighbors, so the next best option was to post something on this blog that echoed my thoughts, emphasized by lots of exclamation points! You get the idea. :)

So, since this is a blog about my "luhv" journey, I'd better give you a sense of where I'm at on my path to Missus-hood. So here's the timeline up to this point:

The Engagement (Feb. 16, 2008) - Getting engaged is, of course, a pretty essential stone on the path toward marriage (except for the occasional pair of elopers and Britney Spears), and we were ecstatic when we reached that point. Carlos managed to surprise me, which was a surprise in itself, since we'd been talking about marriage and I was expecting it to happen practically every other minute.But, we'd also been talking about finances, so the night before he got down on one knee, I convinced myself that my ring finger would probably remain bare for at least another few months.

He, meanwhile, was employing outstanding amounts of romantic intuition and creativity and behind the scenes to create the perfect setting for a proposal. As you can probably tell from the ring on my finger and the video of our proposal, it worked!! To any Milwaukee girl looking to inspire her guy, Red Arrow Park's winter ice skating rink is a great hint to drop. This was a legitimate dream date that I'd happened to mention to Carlos when the weather first got cold, and he certainly took the idea and ran . . . err . . . skated with it!

View Proposal Video Here


Photography - After a couple of heart-racing discussions soon after we got engaged, becoming slightly overwhelmed by the list of tasks that apparently lay ahead, Carlos and I were able to make some concrete decisions and start moving forward. I'd already chosen our wedding photographer, Sarah, when I'd seen her presentation a month before we got engaged. We hit it off instantly, and, honestly, who wouldn't hit it off with Sarah?!

I almost scared Carlos out of working with her because I quoted too high a price, but that was just because Sarah and I got together for coffee one day, got a little excited as we started "wedding talking" and got carried away as we went over the list of all the great items she has to offer. Plus, Carlos is from Nicaragua, so we started talking about trips and multiple wedding ceremonies, and before we knew it, I was spending beau coup bucks, despite the fact that Sarah was being incredibly generous in her pricing! Carlos brought some reason into the picture, and although Sarah and I have yet to draw up a formal contract, I think we're looking at an in-budget number.

Honestly, she really is very reasonable in her prices, especially for the quality of her work (and that awesome personality that makes the photo shoot so fun)! If any one's looking for a customizable photo experience, at a great price, done by a professional with a winning personality, Sarah's your girl. She does maternity, business, and child photography, etc., to boot! Check out her blog by clicking here or by clicking the "I Do" Photography link on the sidebar.


When Shall We Wed? (The Date) - Carlos and I picked our date a week or two into our engagement, merely because we wanted to have an answer when friends and family asked us about it. I swear, people think that the guy gets down on one knee and the girl whips out her calendar! When we finally did nail down a date, we were partially prepared. In a flight of whimsy back at the beginning of our "what if we get engaged this year" phase, we'd gone through the entire list of months and analyzed each one for wedding potential. We cut out the winter ones right away (again, he's from Nicaragua), which, in Wisconsin, only left four or five.

We decided upon June, or late September/early October, depending on when we got engaged. Since we're too laid-back a couple to work through checklists with a sense of urgency, we decided we'd better give ourselves at least a year. So, when he proposed in February, 2008, the closest option was June, 2009! From there, we literally looked at a calendar and pointed. This technique proved effective until we found out that the reception hall was booked that day. No worries, we bumped it back a week, after confirming that Sarah could do that day, of course!


The Church - We're both Catholic, and go to the same church - St. Catherine on 51st and Center. So this decision was a no-brainer. Unfortunately, there's not a website yet, but as soon as there is (probably when I create it in the next month or so), you better believe I'll add it to the vendors list! We start our wedding preparation with Deacon Ralph, this Sunday, right after our monthly Pancake Breakfast! I've known Ralph my whole life, so I wasn't too intimidated when a previous St. Catherine bride told me he makes us take a big test. But then, she's a life-long "daughter of the church," as well, so maybe I should be nervous! Oh well, at least my tummy will be filled up on pancakes!


The Reception Site - When my mom suggested that we check out Mount Mary College as a possible reception site, we thought it was a great idea. The pricing turned out to be perfect, and there's no beating the location, both geographically and architecturally! The Alumnae Dining Room (click here for virtual tour), which seats 400 (we're estimating a party of up to 200, so that leaves room for a dance floor), features Gothic floor-to-ceiling windows and cultural flags representing all of the countries Mount Mary's students come from. This couldn't be more perfect for our "Love in Any Language" theme!

We did have a couple of alternative options that never got fully explored (what can I say, we lead charmed lives, and got our first choice, right off the bat). One was the Oak Creek Community Center, which we were considering due to its proximity to the airport and less expensive airport hotels, which could benefit our many out-of-town guests. The Peck Pavilion at the Milwaukee County Zoo was another potential and appropriate option, given the fact that I worked at the zoo for five years as a summer job in high school. Finally, the Milwaukee Public Museum had a really neat sounding package, but they never responded to my email requesting information. I'm guessing it's pretty pricey, though, being downtown. Their caterer happens to be Sodexho, the same one used at Mount Mary, so I banking on some good quality food. Both the museum and Mount Mary's menus sound delish - I can't wait to schedule a tasting!


Caterer - Mount Mary requires their receptions to be catered in-house, but before we decided on them, we threw out a few ideas. We were interested in having some sort of a Spanish tapas/Latin American buffet, and when Carlos learned of
Antigua Mexican and Latin Restaurant, we just had to check it out. We went there for dinner with friends, and loved it! I've also got La Merenda on my list of places to check out. Their menu looks delish . . . plates from all over the world! Oh, and while I'm on the subject of really yummy restaurants, Il Mito and Margarita Paradise (where we had our engagement dinner - excellent service and food!) are both fabu. Not sure if they cater, but they'd be great for the rehearsal dinner or shower or something. Hmm, that's got me thinking . . . :)

Okay, so that's basically it for the decisions and research we've done so far. On a really small but exciting note, today marks the two-month anniversary of our engagement, and I didn't even realize it when I started to create the blog this morning!

Anywho, here are some upcoming tidbits that I'll be sure to write about (in no particular order):

  1. Handmade bridesmaid's gifts, courtesy of Carlos' mom! You can do it, too!
  2. Growing my own bouquet - this will be an ongoing spring experiment. I'll keep you posted.
  3. Catering decisions begin tomorrow. Let's eat! Okay, okay, we're not quite at that point yet. Soon, I hope!
  4. Making my own dress (not the fancy one!) - another experimental step into the DIY (Do It Yourself) world.
  5. Dress shopping! Starts this Saturday!
  6. Centerpieces de Calla at a waaaaay budgeted price.
  7. Cupcakes!!! Oooh, I've got a fantastic link for this one . . . stay tuned!
  8. Home Improvement

Okay, I'm cutting myself off for the night. Good thing I'm working late tomorrow and my first meeting is at Alterra at the Lake (I love my job). Bedtime was an hour and a half ago! To all a good night!

No comments: